Why is Tobolsk called the pearl of Siberia?
The city, founded in 1587, played an important role in the formation of our state. It was Tobolsk that the Russian land began to grow. Now it is the «spiritual capital» of all Siberia.
The history of Tobolsk is unusually rich and eventful. For more than a hundred years it has been the capital of Siberia, which includes a vast expanse from the Urals to the Far East.
The city was a key point connecting Europe with Central Asia and China. The great silk and tea routes passed through Tobolsk. And every educated person of that time knew that there were three capitals in Russia: Moscow, St. Petersburg and Tobolsk.
Since the city played such an important and key role for Russia, this gave impetus to its rapid development. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the city was the largest cultural, educational and spiritual center of Siberia.
- The first and only so far in Siberia the Kremlin, made of stone, is located in Tobolsk.
- The first Siberian theater was built here, the first school was opened, the first magazine was published. There was even a small seal of the Russian state. It all started from Tobolsk.
The city is still considered one of the most beautiful cities in the Trans-Urals. Such a concentration of historical monuments of culture, perhaps, no other city can boast of. Great people who glorified Russia all over the world were born, lived and worked here.
Such as Mendeleev, Perov, Grabovsky Alyabyev, Ershov — the author of the fairy tale «The Little Humpbacked Horse» were born here (however, like the artist Alexander Abdulov, known to us). Dostoevsky, Chernyshevsky and Korolenko were in exile in Tobolsk.
Monument to Dostoevsky (Tobolsk) Monument to Dostoevsky (Tobolsk)
- The city is also called an open-air museum. So many interesting things, everything breathes history around.
- It is one of the three main centers of Orthodoxy in Russia. The symbol of the city is undoubtedly the stone Kremlin. Recently restored, it stands majestically on the high bank of the Irtysh.
Modern Tobolsk is developing very rapidly as a major center of tourism.
Many monuments of history, culture, magnificent natural landscapes are harmoniously intertwined with a modern city and modern sights.
- Tobolsk is still a student city, as there are many different educational institutions and young people from all over the country and the CIS countries study here. So the city of youth.
Tobolsk is a city-monument
- It has over three hundred cultural and historical attractions (with a population of 140 thousand inhabitants, several thousand of them are students). Of this number — 16 cathedral, monastic and parish churches.
Thanks to its rich history, which has been preserved to this day, the development of a tourist destination, and a rapidly developing modern youth city, Tobolsk is still considered the pearl of Siberia. And it is true.