Top 10 attractions in Russia
Getting to know Russia can be an exciting and rewarding experience as you discover some of the most incredible and awe inspiring sights in the world.
From the Great Wall of China to incredible national parks, stunning architecture and beautiful scenery, there is something to experience in every corner of the country. Here we take a look at the top 10 must-see attractions in Russia.
1. The Great Wall of Russia: The Great Wall of Russia, also known as the “Great Wall of Alexander III,” is an iconic structure that stretches across the Russian countryside.
- Built between 1886 and 1891, the wall was intended to protect the country from invading forces. It is often considered the largest defensive wall in the world and one of Russia’s most iconic landmarks.
2. Red Square : Red Square is the famous city square of Moscow and the symbol of the nation. Here are the famous St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Kremlin and Lenin’s Mausoleum.
- It is also the site of many large events such as the Victory Day parades and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Russia.
3. Sochi Winter Olympics Venue: The Sochi Winter Olympics Venue is a world-class venue located in the Russian resort city of Sochi. It was built for the 2014 Winter Olympics and is one of the most impressive sports venues in the world.
- It includes a total of 11 indoor and outdoor venues, including the Big Ice Palace, the Puck Arena and the new Fisht Olympic Stadium.
4. Lake Baikal: Lake Baikal is the oldest and deepest lake in the world, located in the heart of Siberia. It is home to thousands of species of animals and plants, and its crystal clear waters offer some of the best views in the world.
- Visitors can take a boat tour or hike along the shores of the lake and explore its many islands and coves.
5. Golden Ring: The Golden Ring is a series of ancient cities located in northern Russia. It includes cities such as Suzdal, Vladimir and Yaroslavl, each of which has preserved some of the country’s most impressive architectural monuments.
- Visitors can explore the city’s many churches, monasteries and museums, as well as enjoy the stunning countryside.
6. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities in Russia and is home to some of the country’s most iconic buildings.
- Visitors can see the famous Winter Palace, the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood and the Hermitage. The city also offers some of the best nightlife in the region and is a great place to party and have fun.
7. Kizhi Island : Kizhi Island is a beautiful place located in the Onega Lake region in Russia. There is a wonderful wooden church here, known as the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord, which was built without the use of nails or any other metal parts.
- The island also offers scenic views and visitors can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing and canoeing.
8. Kamchatka Peninsula : The Kamchatka Peninsula is a stunning region of Russia located in the far east of the country. It is home to some of the most impressive volcanoes in the world, as well as some of the best ski resorts in the country.
- Visitors can take boat tours around the thousands of islands and explore the diverse wildlife, as well as take part in exciting activities such as heli-skiing and white water rafting.
9. Karelia: Karelia is a stunning region located in northwestern Russia. It is home to some of the country’s most beautiful forests and lakes, as well as some of the best ski resorts in the world.
- Visitors can explore the region’s many hiking trails, as well as take part in activities such as fishing, canoeing and berry picking.
10. Valaam Monastery : The Valaam Monastery is a stunning monastery located on a remote island in Russia’s Lake Ladoga. It was founded in the 15th century and is one of the largest and most important monasteries in the country.
- Visitors can view the many churches, chapels and monastery buildings, as well as take part in some of the many spiritual activities such as singing and prayer.
Russia is an incredibly diverse country with something to experience in every corner. From majestic lakes and mountains to iconic cities and monuments, the country is full of breathtaking and awe inspiring sights.
These top 10 must-see attractions in Russia are sure to give visitors an unforgettable experience while they explore all that the country has to offer.