10 interesting facts about the Valley
Death Valley is a depression in the Mojave Desert in California. It is the lowest point in North America and the second lowest point in the Western Hemisphere.
Here are some interesting facts about her:
1. This is the driest place in the US and one of the hottest places on Earth.
2. In 1913, the air temperature record was broken here. It was recorded that on July 10, 1913 it reached 56.7 degrees Celsius. The air humidity here is only 1%, and there has been no rain in Death Valley for years.
3. Badwater is a small salt lake in Death Valley. Its surface is 87 meters below sea level. Due to the very high temperature in the Valley, the rapid evaporation of water from the lake and rare precipitation, the lake may soon disappear completely.
4. This is where the Badwater Ultramarathon takes place, a cycling event for runners that is considered one of the toughest events in the world. The world’s best triathletes, climbers and runners meet here. The marathon lasts from 20 to 40 hours, during which you have to run and overcome obstacles in temperatures above 50 degrees Celsius.
5. Death Valley is the largest US national park outside of Alaska. Its total area is as much as 13,000 square kilometers.
6. Dante’s View — the famous observation deck with the most beautiful panorama of the entire Death Valley.
7. Racetrack Playa — a dry salt lake in Death Valley. The stones at its bottom completely change their position from time to time and no one can explain this phenomenon.
8. Before traveling to Death Valley, stock up on the right amount of water. Experts and locals say that even four liters may not be enough for several hours of sightseeing. It is also worth having a supply of fuel with you, because gas stations here are located very far from each other.
9. It is worth visiting the so-called «ghost towns». These are abandoned cities, which at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries were inhabited by workers in gold and silver mines.
10. Furnance Creek is a busy tourist destination. It is a green oasis where you can shop, dine in a good restaurant or fill up your car.